STRS Plans of Payment
During our years spent as STRS Ohio Member Education Specialists we believed the plans of payment choice to actually be the most difficult decision for retirees. We still believe that today. We use a proprietary Paystub Calculator to help our clients accurately determine their optimal monthly benefit and whether or not to take a PLOP (link to PLOP page).
Your choice at retirement can only be altered due to life-changing circumstances so it is critical to make a wise decision based on your family situation. Considerations include:
- Are you single, married, or in a domestic partnership?
- If you have a significant other, what type of income are they eligible for in their own right?
- Is your significant other also eligible for a public pension?
- Do you have dependent children you would like to protect in the event of your death?
- Will your income needs change within your household during retirement?
It is possible to select both a Joint and Survivor Annuity and the PLOP plan. Be aware that your monthly income will be reduced by both decisions. Remember, it is important to truly understand what your new net income will be in retirement versus your net income while you are actively working.